Monday, September 17, 2007

The Espada Aqueduct

My humanities class had to do an essay on a place we visited. There where four places to go. The Espada aqueduct was one of the places. I visited the Mission Espada Aqueduct September 15, 2007 in San Antonio, Texas. It is a National Historical Park about 1 1/2 miles from mission espada park. It’s a really neat place to visit. The water is very shallow and plenty of trees around. It is very grassy. It is made of gravel and rocks. I read that it was built from 1731 to 1740 and it is a 270 foot dam. I believed I heard that it carries water from the San Antonio River to Piedas Creek. It was built to supply irrigation water. They repaired the dam in 1895. I read that it was used back in the days as a system flood gates. The people back then would also use this for bathing and washing. Back then they would call it at acequia marde. It is one of the four dams that were built along the San Antonio River. They still use the dam today. I never realize that there is a aqueduct near the Missin Espada park. It's amazing how there is so much stuff to learn about my city. Taking a walk there is really exciting because you get to see how our background city built things. I wonder what people in our later future think about our stuff that we have today.

No comments: