Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sweet Home For Birds



In my humanities we have to write essays that are called Field units where we have to visited sites in San Antonio and talk about it in our blogs. The essay is on environment, so the place that I am going to talk about is the Mitchell Lake that is located in the south side near I-410 on Moursand St. I went November 10, 2007 the blog essay was due Nov 1, but since there is no bus that passes by there I didn’t have no other transportation. I ask my uncle if he could take me on Saturday, so he was nice enough to drive me over their.
Mitchell Lake is a wildlife preserve it is owned by SAWS. It has a spectacular view of the lake. As you enter the property there is this huge sign that say Mitchell Lake Wetlands the place is not very hard to find. Before it became a tourist site it uses to be used as a dump waste for the raw sewage. In the mid 1900s San Antonio had no underground sewer, so all the bowel movements that the city made had to go to the lake. In 1987 they stop dumping the waste. Now Mitchell Lake is like a shelter to the birds. Thousands of different birds has been spotted there like vultures, swans, wild ducks, barn owls, and night hawks. The lake is about 1,200 acres. Well when I went there I didn’t see as much bird that I expected to see. I think the birds flew more south because probably a cold front was coming. It is better to come in the spring and hopefully there will be plenty of different birds.
What is unique about it is that it attracts people that love birds like a bird watcher. So if you love wildlife of birds Mitchell Lake is a place to visit.

No comments: